What is a seamless bra?
Seamless bras are typically designed to provide the wearer with a smooth profile underneath clothing.
The garment is constructed on a machine that is programmed to knit the bra in one piece.
Specific measurements are entered into the machine to control size, density and strength of the garment.
Every brand has their own measurements and specialty yarns that they use which determine the quality, comfort and strength of the garment.
Once the knitted garment comes off the machine, the cups are then put in a heat press to mold the depth of the cups. A molded cup will allow your bust to sit neatly into and be separated in the cups. A non-molded cup will tend to create more of a mono-boob, compressed look and feel.
The raw edges of the garment are then trimmed and bound, straps attached and hook and eye connected to create the bra.
What should I look for?
Seamless bras come in all sorts of shapes, sizes, colors and quality.
Look for a bra that feels supportive. The fabric should stretch but feel firm. The quality of the yarn will determine the strength & ultimately life of the bra.
1. The fabric should feel soft and luxurious on the skin
2. Typically a good seamless bra should have two layers of fabric for added support and lift
3. Molded cups for separation and depth
4. Supportive, wide side slings for shape and comfort
5. Comfortable, adjustable shoulder straps that don’t have much stretch
6. At least four rows of hooks and eyes for expansion and contraction
7. A wide back band for comfort and support
8. No underwire
9. Supportive wide under band
Seamless bras come in easy sizing, e.g. XS-XXL. Brand sizing will vary depending on their designs, so it’s important to check the size guide before purchasing your bra.
Many seamless bras are specific to certain cup sizes and band combinations – it’s best to check first. The SugarCandy* Bra(lette) for example is specifically designed for the larger bust.
Seamless bras come in a variety of different designs.
1. Regular bra back
This is the most common type of bra style. It has a number of hooks and eyes at the back and can be easily adjusted should it need to be tighter or looser. The regular back is ideal for all bust sizes.
2. Racer back
This style pulls over your head. The racer back will provide the wearer with greater support. This is due to the additional fabric on the back of the bra, helping to lift the chest. This style of bra is ideal for all bust sizes too, although larger busted women may find it difficult to pull the bra over their head and bust.
Most good seamless bras will have the option for racer back either with a cross-over or j-hook strap design.
3. J-hook or cross over back strap design
A J-hook or adjustable back is great for women looking for a little more support and lift or for those looking to have closer straps to suit their outerwear. These features can be found on some normal back seamless bras too. The J-hook is ideal for all bust sizes and provides versatility.
Not all seamless bras are created equal
It is easy to get allured to cheaper product.
As the saying goes, you get what you pay for! Cheaper product tends to use lighter density yarns, trims and materials, which ultimately determine the quality & life of the bra.
These also have less percentage of elastane. This is the stretchy stuff. The more your bra needs to stretch and recover, means you need a high percentage of elastane for it to be durable and last the distance.
The bra could fit you fantastically for a short period but will probably rapidly deteriorate over time due to wear and washing.
Like all bras, seamless bras should also be looked after.
1. Ideally, wash the garment in warm cool water with a mild detergent without any bleaching agent, inside a laundry bag. This will help to avoid discolouration, elastane damage, fibre damage and also stop any snags from other bras.
2. Wash lights with lights and darks with darks to avoid colour transfer.
3. Hang to dry away from direct sunlight and avoid dryers as they will deteriorate the elasticity in the fabrics and could cause shrinkage if overheated..
4. Store flat or neatly folded in your draw after the garment is dry.
Why should I own a seamless bra?
Seamless bras should not replace your existing wire or non-wire structured bras. We recommend that you continue to wear your structured cup size bras through the day, when you are out and about and at work.
- Seamless bras are ideal for wearing when you don’t have much on, going to college, just want to relax or have a busy day in front of the computer and need to be comfortable.
- If you just want to chill out at home or wear to bed. Whatever you like really, we’re not trying to tell you when you can or can’t wear your bra.
- The soft, luxurious nature of the bras will give you a gentle support without the use of a wire, and are ideal for wearing when you don’t need that full on support of a regular wired bra. That’s not to say we don’t give you support, but wired bras will usually give you a lot more, if they are fitting you correctly.
A good seamless bra will fast become your favourite-go-to bra!
If you haven’t already tried one, seamless bras are the most comfortable, forgiving bras on the market & it’s worth the try.
Who should wear a seamless bra?
Seriously though, the more support that you can give your ta-tas, the less likely you are to cause any accidental ligament damage that could result in premature sagging.
Have I got your attention?
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding – definitely. Everything is changing on a daily basis and you need support, not restriction.
When your milk comes in your breasts are also heavier. A nursing breast weighs up to 33% more than a non-nursing breast of the same size. Comparing apples with apples or should I say; melons with melons.
When should I wear a seamless bra?
Whenever you are not wearing your everyday underwired or soft cup bra, you should be wearing a seamless bra, no matter your size, for optimum breast health.
When you are pregnant or breastfeeding is when everything is changing and is changing rapidly too (relatively speaking).
At no other time in your life (no matter what you eat or crash diet) will your breasts change so quickly in such a short amount of time. To ensure they are being properly supported and not restricted, a double layer seamless bra is the best for your breasts.
It’s a wrap:
Whether you are small busted or larger busted, heavy frame or petite. The answer is always a seamless bra. They are the best invention since sliced bread, or should I say the breast invention. Tada!
SugarCandy* makes seamless bras specifically designed for F cup and up! High tech inner slings, fancy framing and a super supportive underband come together to make the most supportive wire-free bra on the market. Check ’em out!